The Transition Academy
The Albany County School District Transition Academy is a community-based transition program for young adults (18-21) with intellectual disabilities that are working on a certificate of completion. The Transition Academy is intended to bridge between the dependency of high school programs and the independence of adulthood.
The Transition Academy, through the collaborative efforts of students, parents, school staff, and the local community within ACSD, will provide meaningful services and relevant activities that include work experience, recreation and leisure opportunities, preparation for independent living, and social connections for enrolled students in order to facilitate a seamless transition from school to adult life.
Student Entrance Criteria
- 18 – 21 years of age.
- Participated in community based services.
- Working toward Certificate of Attendance.
- Completed their high school program.
- Potential to be semi-independent in the community.
- Committed to a community based and work focused program.
- Exceptions considered on individual basis.
- IEP driven
- Culturally and linguistically competent
- Student and family centered
- Community based
- Collaboration of all stakeholders
- Accountable and outcome oriented
- Honors Individuality and Independence
- Uses natural supports
- Employs reasonable risk
- Promotes self advocacy and self determination
- Incorporates work experience, recreation and leisure, independent living, and community and integration including post-secondary educational offerings
- Increases mobility venues in community
A non-profit business created by Albany County School District Transition Academy Students.
Gifts 4 U stands for Gaining Independence for Transitioning Students.
Gifts 4 U is a business where students develop job skills for future employment.
We have a large inventory of gift products and containers to make a variety of gift baskets.
Gift baskets cost $5.00 and up we accept cash or check. Free Delivery – within Laramie City Limits.
Address: 710 Garfield Room 320 Laramie Plains Civic Center